Pages

Saturday 22 February 2014

Assignment 5 - Reflective Commentary

When I introduced myself to my tutor at the start of the course this is what I wrote:

I have always had a passion for making things - Blue Peter has a lot to answer for - and I still have that passion, I have however moved on from making clothes and horses for my Sindy doll and jumpers for my trolls and teddies.  Crochet and hand embroidery are probably my favourite mediums to work in and I like to use found objects and re-cycle wherever possible.More years ago than I care to remember - after leaving school - I studied Surface Pattern Design at college, and although I gained A level Art and a North West Regional Textile Design Certificate I decided that the course wasn’t for me and left after 2 years.

Over the last two years I have been studying A Level Textiles at night school.  I attend the class once a week at the local high school, but did the majority of the work at home. I achieved an A (100%) in the AS and A* (98%) in the A2.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the last two years and have learnt a lot (although I did find it quite hard at first to get back into the writing part of the course) so decided to take the next step and enrol on this OCA course.I am  looking forward to the challenge, although I am not good at drawing and I am sure I will find this part of the course difficult.

So two years down the line, it is now time to reflect on my experience with the OCA.  I have really enjoyed doing the course and am glad that I decided to enrol.  I have found it hard at times to get the work done, there are a lot of other things that demand my time and I think if I decide to continue, I will have to find a different way of working.

I have found the keeping of a sketchbook quite hard work, although I do think my sketching and drawing has improved, and I have got a lot more confidence in being able to get my ideas down on paper.

I enjoy working through each of the exercises and this has opened up different ideas and methods of working; I didn't think I would be able to do the colour matching exercise, but found it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined; and I had never tried weaving before and found this very enjoyable.

I think the thing I enjoy the most is creating the mood boards; collecting together different fabrics, yarns, threads and notions to create the mood of a piece.  I don't think I have found my personal style yet but I am getting there and am realising more and more what I like and don't like.

I definitely need to visit more exhibitions, take part in an OCA organised gallery visit and do more research.

As I have applied for formal assessment, which takes place in July, my course is not quite over; I will wait for my final tutor report and take it from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment