Pages

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Research Point - Gillian Bates

My tutor suggested I look at the work of Gillian Bates and I'm glad I did.

Gillian is a textile artist based in Eastbourne, East Sussex.  She takes her inspiration from the surrounding seaside towns (the residents and architecture), holiday advertising, old postcodes and vintage footage of seaside holidays - producing quirky images of bandstands, helter-skelter, beach huts, 99's, carousels and deck-chairs.  




She produces lovely, nostalgic textile images; very intricate black machine embroidered glimpses of everyday seaside life - highlighted with bright coloured pieces of fabric.  On a background of plain cotton drill, she draws her images, freehand with needle and thread, creating pops of colour with fabric - a mix of recycled, vintage and new - to create beautiful art canvases.



I really like these textiles pictures.  They look fairly simple, but when you examine them closely they are really quite detailed.  I love the sudden pops of colour.

Link to website: http://www.gillian-bates.com/index.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment